"The neighbor two doors down saw the voltage go down through the alley visually by looking at it, so it had to be pretty intense," said RD Dunn, whose shed was gutted when sparks rained down from what looked like a blown transformer.
His neighbor, Tom Cunningham said, "I heard and saw a loud crash and a flash. Thought it was a car accident, so came out the back and saw the fuse that had blown on the pole"
Dunn said he overheard a Lubbock Power and Light employee say to fire fighters that a failed lightning arrestor could be to blame for the blown transformer.
"In 2012 there has got to be something we could do with technology to keep this from happening or blacking out the whole city of Lubbock you know just for lightening. This is West Texas you know we have lightening we have tornadoes," said Dunn.
The homeowners say they are lucky the fire didn't get worse, and no one got hurt.
Dunn said, "We were just concerned with animal life when we first pulled up."
Yesterday an LP& L employee told Dunn, he would have to foot the bill for his burnt shed himself.
"They told us as far as will it be covered, they think that's an act of God instead of faulty parts," said Dunn.
LP& L declined to comment to KLBK saying they are still investigating. Dunn says he thinks the cause is obvious and he wants LP& L to do something about it.
He said, "You know this old area the wires need to be replaced or something needs to be updated so this doesn't cause a life, you know something as simple as this can be taken care of before hand."