LUBBOCK, Texas - The Texas Tech baseball program held the first game of its annual Red & Black Series on Monday while the Black Team captured a 3-0 victory over the Red Team at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park.
Junior right-handed pitcher Trey Masek struck out six in 3.1 innings while freshman first baseman Eric Gutierrez drove in two runs with a single to center field in his first at-bat of the series to give the Black Team all the run support it would need.
Masek and five relief pitchers - including freshman Matt Withrow who earned the one-inning save - combined for the shutout while collecting 12 strikeouts and allowing eight base hits.
Red Team starting pitcher Corey Taylor took the loss allowing three runs on four hits in 2.2 innings with one strikeout.
Devon Conley led off the bottom of the first with a single to center field and shortstop Tim Proudfoot followed with a single through the left side. Gutierrez drove in both Conley and Proudfoot with a single before freshman Tyler Neslony scored Gutierrez for the third and final run of the game with a double to right field.
Gutierrez went 2-for-3 with a stolen base and also reached base with a hit-by-pitch and Conley also finished with a pair of hits going 2-for-3 with a walk.
Senior right-handed pitcher Jerad McCrummen (1.2 IP, 2 SO), freshman right-handed pitcher Johnathon Tripp (2.0 IP, 2 SO) and Withrow (1.0 IP, 2 SO) all finished with multiple strikeouts in relief.
The Red Team was led on the mound by junior left-handed pitcher Andre Wheeler who pitched 2.1 scoreless innings with four strikeouts. Junior right-handed pitcher Heath Herrington also worked two scoreless frames with two strikeouts and sophomore right-handed pitcher Dominic Moreno struck out the side in a scoreless eighth inning.
Sophomore center fielder Brett Bell (2-for-4, SB) was the only Red Team player with a multi-hit game while third baseman Bryant Burleson (1-for-4), shortstop Jake Barrios (1-for-3, BB), first baseman Blake Bass (1-for-4), designated hitter Wade Stramp (1-for-4) and right fielder Conner Smith (1-for-4, 2B) all had base hits in the game.
The annual Red & Black Series will continue a week from today with Game 2 scheduled for Monday, Oct. 29 with a 6:30 p.m. first pitch. The series finale - Game 3 - is set for Tuesday, Oct. 30 at 3 p.m. All games of the series will be played at Dan Law Field at Rip Griffin Park and admission is free.
RED & BLACK SERIES GAME 1 NOTES:
- Tallied four of the team's six base hits in the first inning.
- With the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the fourth, 2B Alec Humphreys robbed a base hit from Wade Stramp and saved at least two runs with a diving stop up the middle with a force at second base to end the Red Team scoring threat.
- Trey Masek recorded five consecutive outs via strikeout from the first to third inning.
- Four pitchers (McCrummen, Tripp, Bethard, Withrow) combined faced one over the minimum (retiring 14-of-15 batters) from the third out in the fifth inning to the final out of the game in the ninth.
- Humphreys reached base in three of his four at-bats with three straight walks, including a nine-pitch walk in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Batters 1-through-5 combined went 6-for-16 with three runs and three RBI.
- Had at least one base hit in six of the nine innings.
- Seven of the nine players had at least one base hit.
- Left three runners on base in back-to-back innings (4th and 5th).
- Had the leadoff batter on base via a base hit in four of the first five innings of the game.
- Jarrard Poteete had back-to-back plate appearances with seven-pitch walks in the fourth and sixth innings.
- Conner Smith hit perhaps the hardest ball of the game, a line-drive double off the top of the left field wall to lead off the fifth inning.