Firefighters on scene said there were no people in the building at the time the fire started, but there were animals inside. The Red Cross confirmed that 3 dogs and 5 cats survived the fire. The total number of animals at the home is unsure, but the Red Cross said not all of the animals survived.
New Deal, Shallowater, and West Carlisle fire departments all responded, and had a hard time putting out the flames, as there were no fire hydrants along the road near the home. Trucks kept having to bring water into a pool that firefighters set up in front of the home.
Flames were seen coming through the windows on the second story, and the chimney continued to smoke for some time.
The Red Cross has been brought in to assist the family of 4. Anyone wishing to donate should contact the Red Cross here.
Fire crews on scene Tuesday were unable to say what started the fire.