All the guests at the Red Roof Inn had to be evacuated around 10:45 this morning after a fire broke out in room 251. There were whole families outside without shoes and kids out here in diapers. Many we talked to said they thought it was a drill and were scared to hear it was the real thing.
"She said it was real so I just I thought about my kids, and I said let's go that's why they don't have on any clothes and we don't have on any shoes," said one guest.
This young family ran out with just the clothes on their back when they heard there was a fire. They say luckily ems was there to keep their kids warm.
"As soon as we got out here with the kids they gave them blankets and they put them in the ems truck and they kept them warm they turned on the heater and everything so they were pretty good," said the mother.
This family was among many displaced guests including Mario Bernal who says he could smell smoke from the other side of the hotel.
"It was starting to get stronger because when I first walked out I could smell it and by the time I came back to the room and got out again it was stronger," said Bernal.
No one was hurt in the fire, and Red Roof Inn says they "followed their emergency protocol successfully."
"We were asleep and its just well thank god we got out though, that is the main thing," said the mother.
The fire department let guests back in around 12:30. Red Roof Inn hasn't commented on if guests will be refunded for the inconvenience.