Neighbor Lonnie Acosta says a car driving by discovered the house on fire.
"I came out and looked and I saw smoke coming out of the front of the house," said Acosta. "It looked like it was pretty bad, the windows were all blacked out so I don't know how long it had been smoking but it looked like it had been there for awhile."
Fire Investigator Ross Alexander says the fire was electrical and the resident won't be able to stay at the home until it is checked out by the city.
"This was an electrical malfunction so one of the outlets in the living room," said Alexander.
Alexander says the homeowner may have had issues with his electricity in the past and had too many things plugged into the outlet.
"Just the short there but it definitely came from the outlet, he had some extra things plugged in to the outlet," said Alexander.
Acosta says with today's high winds, he was scared the fire would spread.
"It could have moved from house to house but with the wind blowing out of the west like it is I didn't think it would bother my house but the other house would have been in danger for sure if it had gotten any worse before they got out here," said Acosta.