The fire happened at 3506 41st street.
Fire officials tell us ashes from a previous fire in the fireplace ignited a cardboard box which then sent flames throughout the house.
Matt Heasley says he and his roommate are only alive because of his chocolate lab Drake.
Heasley says Drake is the one who woke him up, allowing everyone to make it out of the house just in time.
Now Matt Heasley says he's lucky to be alive.
"I can't predict the future or whats going to happen, but I'm just very happy to see my parents again," Heasley said.
The fire department says it's always best to leave any ash from a fire outside of your house, no matter how old it may be.